Sunday, May 15, 2011

Barriers to Entry

I find less and less Freedom every day in a country that is supposed to be known for its Freedom.  Although there are many causes, I believe the biggest violator are the various Barriers to Entry (BOE) created by our society.

Due to my recent job loss, I decided to follow the American dream by deciding to change my career path for a more satisfying life.  But after reading through job postings that interest me and that I know I'm more than smart enough to do, I'm afraid that won't happen... if I believe the requirements listed in these job postings.

The job postings list requirements that require huge amounts of time to accomplish while incurring massive amounts of debt.  Doable for the young but a great burden or just impossible for actual adults.

Each, time & debt, becomes a BOE to anyone that is seeking change in their careers (loss of Freedom).  Conversely, Business & Government are robbed of truly diverse experiences brought in by those who wish to change their careers.

Instead of looking for attitude (creates healthy work environments) and aptitude (creates loyalty and infuses real or better ideas, solid work ethic) these requirements show the lack of imagination or even lack of thought processes which would prevent stagnation and a false sense of security also known as status quo.

Unfortunately these BOE's will not change.  They are entrenched into the minds of those in charge of hiring, believing that these are truths.  They are further blinded by technology, mistaking it for knowledge and progression while ignoring human nature.

The sad truth is that a goodly amount of truth in our society today would have been met with ridicule and or disdain by our ancestors. 

 I will press on and view this as another opportunity to be on the outside looking in.

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your post. Perhaps you can post a followup with a one or two pertinent examples of the lists of requirements that create BOA's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dean. But like Plutarch, I like to point instead of lead. If people figure it out, with some pointing, then it is remembered better.

    ReplyDelete